All Faculty, Professional Staff, University Lecturers and Research Professors that are full-time are members of the PSA bargaining unit but are not full voting members until a Membership Authorization form has been completed. By becoming a Full Member you help to increase the overall strength of the PSA whose negotiating team bargains for your benefits and salary and whose Governing Board and staff work diligently to ensure employee protection and due process.
The dues difference is very nominal. For example, an Agency Fee Payer with a salary of $50,000 would pay less than .70 cents per week to become a Full Member. For no more than a few dollars more per week, a Full Member receives the benefits outlined below and secures a voice and vote in our democratic processes.
FULL MEMBER BENEFITS Agency Fee Payers are covered by the contract but have no voice on how the PSA conducts its business nor can they participate in PSA Full Member events. As a Full Member of the PSA, you will have the largest NJIT bargaining unit supporting and working with you if you have any academic or employment problem with the University administration. Essentially, anything above and beyond the contract is reserved for those who are full voting members of the Association.Full Members:
- Have a voice and a vote in all PSA/AAUP matters at NJIT
- Have the right to vote on the dues structure, to elect representatives and to run as an officer or Governing Board member
- Can participate in the development of bargaining demands
- Can vote on whether or not to ratify a tentative contract agreement
- Receive updates from the union by e-mail or via newsletter
- Are invited to PSA functions including but not limited to financial planning seminars, membership meetings, NJ Conference of AAUP meetings/seminars, etc
- Are entitled to various other items that are not specifically in the contract
HOW TO JOIN Joining is easy. Just complete the Membership Authorization form by filling it out online and emailing it to email@example.com. It can also be printed and sent back via interoffice mail or scanned as attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to call or email the PSA office if you have any questions about becoming a Full Member.